Thursday, October 28, 2010

Halloween and Holidays

I can't believe Halloween is this weekend! Furthermore, anytime after Halloween is fair game for Christmas decor to start going up. I know a lot of people think it's silly to decorate so early, and it probably is; however, decorating is almost therapeutic for me. Since we never have Thanksgiving at our house, I have no regrets of having the Christmas decor up during Thanksgiving. Furthermore, it really helps get me thinking about all the things I have to be thankful for...a country that I'm free to decorate for and celebrate Christmas (even before Thanksgiving), a wonderful family to spend the holidays with, and the physical ability TO decorate for the holidays, just to name a few. Finally, one of my favorite parts about decorating for Christmas is putting the ornaments on the tree. All of my ornaments are sentimental in some way, but a couple of my favorites are an ornament that Gary gave to me the first year we started dating that says Gary & Kellye 1996, LJ's baby's first Christmas ornament, and several ornaments given to me by my Grandma Dawn who passed away in 2003.


This being the first cold snap that looks like it will be staying with us for awhile, I'm feeling the itch to begin getting the place ready for winter. Finding drafts, getting places ready for wood storage (with easy access), cleaning out the chimney and replacing filters in our air purifier (almost a must have w/ the fireplace) and the humidifier (a definite must-have with the fireplace). I may actually break out the Christmas music to help me clean.

Finally, I'll conclude with a little story I write more for the benefit of me remembering than for you to read, but yesterday I was reading in one of my pregnancy books and it said that the baby can probably hear now. I told this to LJ, and asked if there was anything he wanted to tell the baby in Mommy's belly. He walked over, put his little hands on my belly and his mouth right up to it and yelled "DADA, DADA, DAAADAAAA!!!!!" What was actually going through his head? The world may never know.

No comments: