This is a little info for those of you who have considered cloth diapering, but feel too overwhelmed to try it.
I have cloth-diapered LJ since he was just a day or two old. I started out with Bumgenius one-size diapers, and I loved them...UNTIL they began to repel water rather than absorb it. Apparently if diaper cream touches these things, then they all get washed together, they're a gonner. So, I decided to go with the Fuzzibuns one-size diapers which have snaps instead of velcro. The snaps are a bit awkward at first, but they hold up WAYYYYY better than the velcro (probably even through multiple babies) and you get used to them very quickly (like in one day). Also, you can get replacement elastic for the Fuzzibuns without replacing the whole diaper...which is GREAT! I have only 10 diapers right now, but it seems to be plenty. I have to do one load of diapers a day, but, for me, it really isn't a big deal because it becomes part of your routine pretty fast. (If I had 12 total, I could probably do a load every day-and-a-half). If LJ wasn't such a heavy wetter, I'm certain I wouldn't have any problem with even prefolds/flats and a diaper cover (although I'd use a Snappy instead of safety pins). If you do decide to use prefolds, get HEMP. Hemp is MUCH more absorbant than cotton. Also, always have a package of disposables on hand; for the occasional rash (although you can use the cloth diapers w/ diaper cream as long as you put a piece of cloth between the cream and the diaper, and DO NOT WASH IT WITH THE DIAPERS...a cut up receiving blanket works well) or person who is intimidated by cloth diapers. For wipes, I use a spray bottle with water and flannel cloth (you can buy flannel wipes for next to nothing). Overnight cloth diapering has proved to be quite a challange...I think I'm close to having the recipe, but I'll post about it after it's successful for more than one night!
No comments:
Post a Comment